Frequently Asked Questions

I've moved since I applied for rental assistance. How do I let your office know?

Report any changes to your household to our office in writing. We cannot accept changes over the phone.

How do I apply for rental assistance?

Section 8 wait list is open. See Forms page to download a pre-application

Do I have to live in Clatsop, Columbia and Tillamook Counties to apply?

No, but if you currently reside outside of NOHA's jurisdiction, you will be required to live within one of these counties for one year after you receive rental assistance.

I am a single person. Am I eligible for Section 8?

Yes, you are housed according to your family size/income when your name reaches the top of the waiting list.

What happens when my name reaches the top of the waiting list?

You will be mailed a letter stating you have been selected from the waiting list and will be sent a final application packet. You must complete and return the application packet along with the supporting documentation. Once the packet is received, staff will verify your income information and make a determination of eligibility. You will then attend an orientation session at the NOAH office. Your case worker will carefully explain the program rules and regulations. You will be issued a Housing Choice Voucher and a Request for Lease Approval for your prospective landlord at the orientation.

What happens if I have a police record?

Having a police record or criminal history does not automatically make a household ineligible to receive assistance. The housing authority reviews all applicants' criminal histories and determines eligibility on a case by case basis.

HUD requires the housing authority to deny assistance in the following cases:

  • Any household member over the age of 18 who has been convicted for drug related or violent criminal activity, or who has abused alcohol in such a way that it resulted in any criminal activity within the last 5 years.
  • Any member of the household who has been evicted from federally-assisted housing for serious violation/s of the lease.
  • Any household member who has ever been convicted of production/manufacture of methamphetamine on the premises of federally assisted housing.
  • Any household member who is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under any state sex offender registration program.

What do I do once I get my voucher and the Request for Lease Approval?

Your voucher is good for 120 days. During this time you are to look for a rental unit (apartment, house, manufactured home, or mobile home). Once you find a unit, talk to the landlord and see if they are interested in participating in the voucher program. The landlord would then complete the Request for Lease Approval form, sign, date, and mail it to NOAH in Warrenton. The unit will be inspected to verify that it meets HUD minimum housing quality standards. NOHA then inspects the unit and draws up a lease and contract. Subsidy checks will be issued to the landlord once the signed paperwork has been returned.

Now that I am on the program what do I do?

Remember changes to income and household composition have to be reported to the housing authority IN WRITING within 10 days of the change. If you have questions, call your case worker.